A few Christmases ago my friend Jeff and his wife Lisa presented me my very own “Oh Shit” bag. My “Oh Shit” bag is for the car should I break down in the middle of nowhere and GPS and On Star not give a…well, you know, shit; equipped with high-beam flashlights, rain gear, tarp, ninja knife, waterproof matches, etc.
I thought of the “Oh Shit” bag while serving at a homeless shelter. The mission attempts to house everyone but sometimes it can’t. I thought:
“If there is ever a time to need an “Oh Shit” bag, being homeless is one of them.”
That is why I am asking my Facebook friends to join a challenge as part of your New Year’s resolutions.
The Challenge: Fill an “Oh Shit” bag for the homeless in 2018.
Here is how it will work if you are so moved:
- Those accepting this challenge will comment on this post.
- I will create a Facebook page for our challenge.
- A commitment is assumed when, during January, you post a picture of yourself and/or family with your empty “Oh Shit’ bag/s (gender- neutral backpack/s) to the page created during step 2.
- Each month we will add to the bag in something of this order (specifics to follow):
- February – Ski caps or ear muffs
- March – Gloves (should be on sale by this time)
- April – Toiletries & Deodorant
- May – Gift card to eating establishment
- June – Sleeping bag (waterproof) and it won’t fit in the bag 🙂
- July – Rain poncho
- August – Flashlight, and batteries
- September – Socks
- October – Snacks and water
- November – something personal to motivate or let them know they are not alone + a note for the bag and for Wheeler Mission
- November, mail your “Oh Shit” bag/s to me, and I will get them to the Wheeler Mission for distribution.
An “Oh Shit” bag is more than a survival kit, it shows that someone cares – so thank you, Lisa and Jeff, for being the brains, and the love, behind this effort.
I hope you join the challenge. Still not convinced, I “triple dog dare” you to say no after watching the video.